Firefighters advise getting chimney checked before first fire
Local temps are forecasted to be heading into 40s this weekend. Janus Pest Management recommends that homeowners inspect their chimneys before lighting them. Check for leaves, nests and other combustible materials that may have been deposited there by honeybees, rodents, birds and wildlife.
The chill in the air may cause unwanted pests and critters to move into your home. Some of them could be the reason your home catches fire. Firefighters caution that this is the time of season where they start seeing chimney fires.
According to experts, every year across the nation there are 25,000 house fires that start in the chimney. Birds and pests build a home in your chimney causing a danger situation that you don’t realize until it’s too late. Brown added, “They start their first fire of the season, they don’t check the fireplace and then that nest will catch fire and it will fall down alongside the flu pipe or in the chase and it will set the house on fire. Most of the time the residents don’t even know their home is on fire until a neighbor or a passerby alerts them.
Janus Pest Management, Inc.
© 2013 Janus Pest Management, Inc.